Orange Corners Baghdad
Orange Corners Baghdad supports Iraqi youth in bringing their entrepreneurial ideas to life. Through a six-month incubation programme, we support 20 young male and female Iraqi entrepreneurs with training, business development, and masterclasses. We seek to provide a supportive environment in which your business can thrive.
Orange Corners Baghdad is an initiative of the Dutch Embassy in Baghdad and is implemented by the business company KAPITA. The economic priorities of the Netherlands in Iraq are agriculture, water and entrepreneurship. KAPITA supports the community of young entrepreneurs in Baghdad by building youth capacity, and developing successful businesses.
What we offer
- Training Sessions
This entails start-up planning, resource management, marketing and communication, research skills, and other business management tools you need.
- Business development support
Training to help you assess risks, developing networking skills and to better determine market needs.
- Events and Masterclasses
Local customers will eventually buy any service or product that you develop. At a number of public events, we help you connect with the local market, and expose you to established Iraqi business leaders.
- Positive environment
We will work to foster a positive and encouraging environment. In our selection we look for enthusiastic individuals who are willing to learn and make a difference.
Throughout the programme, you will have the opportunity to pitch your ideas at masterclasses and public events. We will bring potential investors to these events so that you will have a change to attract investment.
How to apply
The application process consists of two phases:
- Online application. The application form becomes available on our website prior to the beginning of each six-month cycle. Fill in all required fields and submit via the online application form submit button. Please make sure to check your inbox regularly to see if you are one of the 50 selected semi-finalists.
- Bootcamp. The 50 semi-finalists will be invited to participate in a compulsory two-day-long bootcamp in which a jury decides who are best placed to join the incubation programme. Selection will be conducted according to the performance during the bootcamp. At the end of the bootcamp, 20 young Iraqi entrepreneurs will be selected to participate for six months.
In order to apply for the OC programme, you must be:
- Between 18 and 35 years old.
- Have at least a high school diploma or a bachelor degree.
- Ready to submit an innovative start-up idea or an established start-up that should not be more than a year old.
- Has excellent communication skills, both oral and written in Arabic.
- In possession of adequate English language skills.
- Has commercial awareness and a proactive approach.
- Is passionate about business and entrepreneurship.
- Has great commitment and is disciplined.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- Deadline driven.
We are specifically looking for ideas and startups in fields related to Agribusiness, Food Manufacturing, Tech, E-commerce and anything Product-based.
However, that does not mean we will disregard ideas that are not among the aforementioned sectors. If you believe that your idea or startup has the potential to disrupt the Iraqi market, then apply below.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can apply starting from the 15th of December 2019 until the 3rd of January 2020.
In order to apply for the OC programme, you must be :
- An aspiring entrepreneur based in Iraq.
- Between 18 and 35 years old.
- Have at least a high school diploma or bachelors degree.
- Unemployed or at most a part-time employee, so that you have enough time available to develop your business.
- Ready to submit an innovative start-up idea that addresses one of the Susationable Development Goals.
- In possession of some English language, leadership and communication skills.
It is really easy: all you have to do is to fill in the online application form on our website.
Orange Corners Baghdad targets people who have a business start-up or idea, but are not yet able to develop their idea. This is where we come in to help you: whether you do not yet have the right connections, are unsure how to write a good business plan, or need a mentor. Through an intense 6-month long programme we will help you to develop your business idea until you have what it takes to succeed on the Iraqi market.
Once you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation email. We will follow up later with an email (or phone call) to let you know whether we have selected you as a Boot camp semi-finalist. During the boot camp, the jury will announce the final group of 20 participants.
The Orange Corner programme starts in January 2020. Every 6 months a new cycle of 20 Iraqi entrepreneurs will be selected for participation.
No, participation is funded by The Netherlands and partners from the private sector.